June 8, 2021
Namibia’s Health Ministry says it has suspended non-emergency or non-urgent operations at two of its state hospitals due to the surge in COVID-19 cases. Health Ministry Executive Director, Ben Nangombe, said in a statement that only emergency and urgent operations will be performed in theaters until further notice. The ministry said earlier that hospitals, especially state-owned ones, were overwhelmed with admissions and also grappling with oxygen shortages. As of Sunday, Namibia had registered 58,707 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 912 related death, as the country battles a third wave of Coronavirus infections.